Meetings are the functional units of self-help recovery programs where individuals support their own recovery and that of others by sharing their "experiences, strength and hope."
- anniversary: celebration of another year of sobriety
- beginners, newcomers: for novices
- Big Book: discussion of excerpts from the book Alcoholics Anonymous
- business: Members of that group conduct business before or after the regular meeting.
- closed: members only
- discussion, topic: a topic is proposed as the focus of discussion.
- open: Anyone may attend.
- speaker: The meeting is dominated by one or more members telling an extended story.
- step: Members work on steps.